Created: Friday, 18 January 2002 Written by CorrespondentAustralian Bureau of Statistics highlights:
3 Australians die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.
142 Australians were injured in 1998 by not removing all the pins from new shirts. 58 Australians are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of screwdrivers.
13 Australians have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.
19 Australians have died in the last 3 years by eating Christmas decorations they believed were chocolate.
4 broken arms were reported last year after Christmas Cracker pulling incidents.
18 Australians had serious burns in 1998 trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.
8 Australians cracked their skull in 1997 after passing out while throwing up in the toilets.
And last but not in any way least, a healthy (or unhealthy) 543 Australians were admitted to casualty in the last two years after opening bottles of beer with their teeth or eye socket.